Jack Kerouac, as Sal Paradise once said: "I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion." And I think that's a rather apt description of my blog over the years, and perhaps the most perfect description of me in general that I've ever read. So that's what this blog is, a collection of the falling stars that are beckoning me at any time.

07 June 2006

books and things

I've been on an 18th Century literature kick it seems. First Tristam Shandy (which I see has now been made into a film. I really wish I was still living in Boston right now, so I could see it. Given that it played briefly at, I think it was, Coolidge Corner, I don't think it's likely to be gracing any screens in this place ever, let alone soon. I think I'd want to see it even if it were supposed to be awful, just because I'm dying to see how one attempted to adapt such a practically non-adaptable work.) I was planning to tackle my aversion to Brontes by actually reading Jane Eyre, I decided it wasn't fair of me to be prejudiced against Charlotte just because I hated Wuthering Heights with a passion (and unfortunately through out various levels of education had to hate it 3 separate times)after I finish Tom Jones, but I may just stick with the 1700s and dig up some Swift or Dafoe.

Speaking of books, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with mine. I've already faced up to the fact that there is no way I can take my ever growing library with me when I move. It's just not practical, both in terms of shipping costs and space. CDs aren't such a problem because I can just convert the ones I don't want to leave behind to MP3 and burn them to dvds as data files. My art stuff is going to be a painful process, I don't really want to face up to that yet (and I've still got months so I don't think I shall) I've already figured out that I'm going to sparate my books into the categories of essential, would like, and can get rid of. I'm definitely going to have to hit that task when I'm in a purging mood :) What I can't decide is how I want to go about getting rid of the ones that are going. I'd like to sell them and get at least a little cash if I could do it without a lot of hassle, but I have a feeling I'll end up donating them somewhere, and if I do I want them to go to the most good use.

No comments: