Jack Kerouac, as Sal Paradise once said: "I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion." And I think that's a rather apt description of my blog over the years, and perhaps the most perfect description of me in general that I've ever read. So that's what this blog is, a collection of the falling stars that are beckoning me at any time.

06 September 2006

lend me your cooking advice.

Any foodies/cooks out there I need to come up with a suitable replacement for onions in recipes. I'm allergic to onions and their various brothers (scallions, leeks etc) though it may actually be a severe intolerance as I'm not particularly allergic to other members of the lily family (or at least they don't make me anywhere near as ill) I don't really mind the absence of the textures the onions provide (all the years of digestive miseries have ingrained a dread at that familiar crunch so celery is out) I'm getting to be at a loss for what to use to replace it for flavour. Usually I just add garlic (which oddly doesn't do any damage to my innards that an acid reducer can't cure) but that's not alway a help, especially if the recipe already has garlic in it, and also I don't want to overload on garlic incase it increases my sensitivity to it (Living label scouring onion free makes buying food bad enough, a garlic free world might be nigh impossible.) Is there anything not in the lily family that would be a good substitute? (especially for leeks.)

No comments: