Jack Kerouac, as Sal Paradise once said: "I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion." And I think that's a rather apt description of my blog over the years, and perhaps the most perfect description of me in general that I've ever read. So that's what this blog is, a collection of the falling stars that are beckoning me at any time.

07 February 2009

The Year can only go up from here.

This has managed to be one of the worst weeks ever. My poor little car, Gus's transmission decided to eat itself and had to go into the shop for some very expensive repairs on Tuesday, so I have been without a car. Floof's car is inoperable right now as well, so because the public transportation here is so, well, horrible (It takes 2 hours to get to work on the bus and it's a 20 minutes drive straight up the main street, and there is absolutely no way to get to the Sarpy Campus to go to class on it at all) we've had to bribe his brother into being so kind as to give us lifts to work. The repair shop guy told me 2 or 3 days, but in reality it will be 6-7 days, which is awful.

Then our apartment building decided to change everyone's locks, they gave 2 days notice via a wee piece of paper crammed in the door. Floof forgot to tell me and at any rate, during the work week the office is in essence not open to me because their hours are after I leave for work until before I get off of work, so even if I'd known I had 2 days to swap out our keys it wouldn't have helped. So, as you can guess, we got home Wednesday to find that our keys wouldn't work in the door and we had to call the maintenance emergency number and wait an hour on the floor in the hallway for someone to show up and let us in. Don't you think they should know which apartments hadn't picked up keys yet at closing time Wed and could have put the keys in our mailboxes, so at least we had a shot?

Floof and i are looking for a house now, to rent not buy since I'm still hoping that in the next few years I'll be able to get my Masters from KU's IxD program, so we'd be moving down to Lawrence for that. There are a lot of nice 3 bedroom places that are about $400 less a month than our loft (if you count the parking fees we have to pay here) I'm dreaming of a nice pantry and beautiful kitchen with a stove that works better than the evil one here. I think that will be the deal breaker for me. We've seen one on craigslist that comes with a pool table and are sort of day dreaming about it, not because it has a pool table, though that would make for great entertaining capabilities, but because of other photos we've seen of it. I just wish that all these expensive auto repairs could have held off until April after we've moved.

No comments: