Jack Kerouac, as Sal Paradise once said: "I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion." And I think that's a rather apt description of my blog over the years, and perhaps the most perfect description of me in general that I've ever read. So that's what this blog is, a collection of the falling stars that are beckoning me at any time.

26 July 2005

of osteocytes and picture books

I work the night shift at a gas station currently, last night I started writing a children's book in between my usual stream of customers asking me if I'm not afraid of working by myself all night. (obviously I can't be too afraid otherwise I wouldn't be doing it would I? I think it's supremely screwed up that my company forces the 3rd shift in an area of town like the one I work in to be single coverage, but I'm not really scared of doing it. Life is too short to run about being afraid of your own shadow, or actually the shadow of an armed robber. I'll just give them the money, and all the booze they can carry and more likley than not they'll just be on their way in a minute or so. Plus it's not like I seem to have much of a choice the way people have been hiring, or rather not hiring of late and I'll be degreed and all that at year end so oh well) anyway back to the children's book. It's called 'Hooray for Emperor Penguin' I googled it and it doesn't seem to be taken since it didn't have any title hits. It's going to be about how the penguins, or rather a penguin named Owen, drive the polar bears out of the south pole. (yeah sort of like st. patty driving the snakes out of ireland and St. Urho the grasshoppers out of Finland [I love St Urho's tay simply because the entire thing from the date to the grasshopper legend was invented by this Finnish exPat in Michigan who got tired of all the "everyone's Irish" on st Patty's day stuff.] and he happens to be named Owen after Owen Glendawr the last king of Wales because I am not Irish, I'm Welsh :) )

I decided to post a shot of a small bit of my painting so it would make sense why I complain about how it's slow going :) since it's kind of hard to explain verbally what it is. As far as my paintings go, I'm into a biology period, I really like microscopic organisms and cellular material. I'm usually between just the structural patterns and geometry of the cells and a simularity between cells and oriental minimalist design or textiles. which is all the pretentious artist statement sort of speak for I like to paint really repetitive and time consuming abstract patterns based on what I can see in a microscope. The current project is a 4'x3' canvas featuring a giant osteocyte, part of which you can see here, to get an idea of what I mean when I say I have to paint a lot of litle lines

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing work, WOW !

chloe said...

thank you.