Jack Kerouac, as Sal Paradise once said: "I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion." And I think that's a rather apt description of my blog over the years, and perhaps the most perfect description of me in general that I've ever read. So that's what this blog is, a collection of the falling stars that are beckoning me at any time.

25 July 2005

weekends decently spent

despite the heat I managed to be fairly productive (heat combined with humidity just makes me feel like doing nothing but sleeping through history programs on tv, even if inside in central air) I got a lot done on my painting , in fact there's enough of the meticulous linework done to be able to get an idea of how it's going to look finished now, which is quite a feat. It was beginning to feel a bit like I'd not make my goal of finishing it before fall semester starts up, I've never tried to do one of my paintings in such a huge size so it's quite a large change doing a 4 foot canvas with some 10,000 little lines on it compared to my usual 2 foot canvases.

I also busted forth and finally made a skirt out of the old pair of paratrooper pants I used to wear all the time in film school. I ended up chucking the idea of making them into a long skirt and lopped them off just under the big cargo pockets. Then I decided to sew a piece of this pink satiny material in the area where there's that triangle from where the crotch was, because I think it's sort of a nice contrast to the manly olive drab, then I embroidered some vines and pink flowers around the bottom. I decided not to hem it because I rather liked the rough edge and the embroidered line there still gives it kind of a finished look rather than just a lopped off one. I'm pretty pleased with how it came out for a sort of what the heck why not sort of project. Here's a few pictures (which came out absolute crap becuase the digital camera didn't seem to want to cooperate with the mirrors today which is another reason I don't like digitals all that much, but for just snapshots I guess I can stop being purist about it)


No comments: